Monday, March 16, 2009

FASHION FOREVER: Fashion Week 2009 ...from my perspective

I remember it like it was yesterday...
It was august 17, 2006 when I gave birth to my line called "Kaima Urban Couture". I came up with my alias Karyn Jenius, after looking at several Akademik Ads in all the VIBE magazines I got from my internship. "jeanius elvated productions..." and i thought my middle name starts with a J, so I could be "Karyn JENIUS..." hmmm it fits.

Now the name Kaima, is a totally different story infact, there is no hidden meaning, or sob story, or biblical principle... except for the fact that Im a John Coltrane fan, and he had a song called "Naima", which i dropped the "N" and added a "K" so creating... "Kaima".

But the point is, my whole life I have been into fashion, actually my whole life I have been into creating and pushing the goal... I think I have done a little bit everything from interning with Vibe Magazine, traveling all over the world, meeting "famous" people, and just chilling with homeless people on the street. I mean i dont know, I dont look at it as pushing to be famous or rich, I just think of it as doing what i need to do to stay sane... *** sidebar*** im so unorthodox that i dont even capitilize my "i's" haha

anyway... i actually get annoyed when people ask me, so tell me about "kaima" how did you come up with it, when did you start? blah blah blah... and i think anyone who knows me, knows that I always have this weird face that comes up when people ask me that question like that "look at them crazy, why you in my face look", simply because I really dont think its that big of a deal... I mean dont mistake it... i think its great to be pursing a goal, especially one i have been doing since 21, but i dont look it like that. I believe that somewhere in Heaven, GOD wanted to be fashionable, and since GOD doesnt walk on runways, he figured: i will create a human that will embody everything fashion and I will call her KARYN JENIUS!

yeah sumthin like that... ( i know God is not a human, but "he" knew what flyness was when "he" created it!) i mean i think it boils down to being genetically eingneered as one person put it... Im genetically engineered to do what I do. Its like if your 5'11 and skinny and become a model, you were gentically eingeneered to do modeling, but if your 5'6 and have to stick your finger down your throat to stay skinny, maybe your in the wrong field... im just saying, I believe we all have something we are good at, and whatever it is, we have been doing it since we were scrubs. So its not like we wake up one day and say "Oh I want to be a Fashion Designer today..."
I just dont think it works out like that.

Anyway, rearing back to my many epiphanys, I not only realized that i was ordained to be a fashionista, but it was confirmed when i stepped foot in fashion week for the first time of my life. I saw some of the greatest of greats grace those tents and runways. The same models i envisioned in magazines and ads, I was sitting alongside...wow... a place that takes people 30 years just to attend, im sitting in on the third row...and i have only been ACTIVELY pursuing my passion for a little over 3 years... but even though it took a long time, I still got here.

I say be true to yourself... you never know what it can bring you!

ciao
:*

kj

Check out PHOTOS!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20883583@N05/sets/72157615092396343/

No comments:

Post a Comment