Monday, July 27, 2009

"The Hardest thing to do is Smile..."

While painting my classroom, I was listening to Gnarles Barkley “Smiley Faces”, and of course on top of loving Ceelo’s voice, there was one line that stuck out to me the most, when he says “one of the hardest things to do is to smile…” and I started to really meditate on that line… I have to admit for the last couple of months it hasn’t been all smiles, with recent deaths of Michael Jackson and my close uncle; to disappointments in projects, friends, and myself, I have to admit smiling hasn’t been easy. It’s so easy to frown, or raise your voice, shed a tear, and maybe cower into a week or two of seclusion just to deal with yourself. I have learned that no matter how hard you try to prepare yourself to deal with certain situations, you may still not come out on top, and sometimes (if not most) people for the most part are more concerned with themselves versus anything about you. It’s a harsh reality in the world we live in that for the majority everything is a fight or flight response, and even more saddening is the insurmountable ignorance floating around. But on the contrary people who think they KNOW EVERYTHING is just as equally annoying, there just doesn’t seem to be a balance, and we are fueled by defense mechanisms, and vices… I just found that the hardest thing to do is smile…to pick up and keep smiling, despite disappointments, adversities, and trials. I firmly believe it is our pain that helps us to remember to feel human. I don’t know I think I’m going to use smiling as my new defense mechanism… cause how many people can tear you down when your smiling?
Just a thought

Karyn

No comments:

Post a Comment